This issue has us starting out with the unveiling of a special full size custom built Matchbox Skyjacker Suspensions Ford Bronco from the SEMA show in Las Vegas. This is a replica of the same model that will be a part of the 2015 Mainline singles. A limited number of the 1:64 models in a clear case with the Skyjacker and SEMA markings will be given out at the show. Also we have a first look at a Supreme Heroes model along with some 2015 mainline products and a glimpse at a TV Heroes model as well. All images and articles are presented here with the consent and permission of Mattel and the Matchbox Team.
Las Vegas, NV (November 5, 2014) -Skyjacker and Matchbox®, the dynamic duo, proudly announce today their joint build project. In honor of the 40th anniversary of Skyjacker Suspensions; Matchbox and Skyjacker have teamed up to create the ultimate throwback vehicle. Announced during a joint press conference, the dynamic duo unveiled the new 1976 Ford Bronco 4×4 “Real Size Edition” along with the comparable Matchbox Ford Bronco 4×4 toy companion.
The 1976 Bronco spec sheet reads like a formidable “who’s who” from the aftermarket industry featuring parts provided by: Skyjacker Suspensions, Hanson, Warn, Bushwacker, Bestop, JW Speaker, Winn Trim, Weather Tech, BFG, BMF Wheels, McGard, JE Reel, Hedman Headers and SSBC Brakes.
“With 2014 being our 40th anniversary, it was clear that there was no better vehicle to build than the one that started it all,” said Lonnie McCurry Sr, CEO and President of Skyjacker Suspensions. “When Matchbox approached us about working in conjunction with them on a toy replica, it was not only an honor and a privilege, but a natural fit. After all, we are a family business with multiple generations running operations and we want to inspire the future generations to join the off-road community. Creating a real size and toy size edition of this landmark vehicle will do just that, continued McCurry Sr.”
The Matchbox Skyjacker Ford Bronco is the ultimate tribute to the iconic 4×4 workhorse. The celebratory Matchbox Skyjacker 1:64 scale die cast captures the trail-ready design of the original 1976 Bronco with coveted upgrades such as a lifted up profile, all-terrain tires, bikini-top as well as chrome bumper and grill accents. The toy version will be available at major retailers later this fall.
“The Matchbox design team was thrilled at the chance to team up with Skyjacker to build a celebratory Bronco fans would get excited about,” said Felix Holst, Vice President, Wheels Design at Mattel. “The concept was to utilize the trail-tested, tough-as-nails 1976 Bronco platform and beef it up with the full Skyjacker off-road treatment. The end result is a Matchbox Bronco that will tackle any terrain in its path—this a Bronco that all generations will love to ride.”
The Bronco and its toy companion will be on display the entire week in the Skyjacker booth (#34133) during the SEMA Show, as well as at a variety of events throughout 2015.
About Skyjacker Suspensions
Headquartered in West Monroe, LA, Skyjacker Suspensions has been leading the off-road and truck markets for more than 40 years. Family owned and operated, Skyjacker Suspension brings their passion for off-road and well performing vehicles to you as if you were part of their family. All Skyjacker products are American made with the highest quality parts and components available. Skyjacker Suspension gets you were you want to go with ease. For more information log on to www.skyjacker.com or call 318-388-0816.
One of the first vehicles in the Supreme Heroes line will be the CHP Ford Explorer. It will have headlight & tail light decoration as well deco on the sides. It will feature our new ULTRA MAX™ 2 piece wheels.
This special wheel, which is exclusive to the Supreme Hero line, will have a separate soft tire and separate hub which will come in different colors depending on the vehicle. There will be 2 wheel sizes and 2 different wheel hub designs available in the line.
The first 3 items are new decos for the 2015 singles line:
First we have the Snow Ripper
Next up we have the BMW R-1200 RT-P Police Motorcycle
….and now we have the International Workstar Brush Fire Truck
Here is something fun…..We are doing 3 vehicles in our TV Heroes pack that are Muppets themed. These are unique in that the decos will be different on each side of the vehicles. Here is the first image with the others to follow in my next report.
Next we have a deco revision for the Express Delivery Van in the 2014 City Works 5 pack.
We revised the colors on the side tampos to be more visible.
And lastly…..here is the new deco for the Dodge Charger Pursuit for the 2015 singles… Looks like a real Police Department on this one, but it is not! Although after searching on the web, I did find a St. Ursula in Pennsylvania. But the car is beautiful and it will be a hard one to find in the stores. Nice design!!!
- Are there any plans on adding a Ferrari to the line up? No there isn’t.
- Will the Bentley Continental GT ever return to the line up? Possibly in the future.
- How is your relationship with Honda? It is good.
- Are there any new Honda’s being considered for the future? Possibly in the future. Are any of the older Honda’s still available like the Insight, Element, and Civic? Yes, the Insight and the Civic are still available but the Element is not due to its higher cost.
- Is there any chance of another Mini being made besides the Cooper? Not at this time.
- Is the team looking into adding a Maserati to the line up? Not at this time.
- The Sea Spy & Mini Dozer has a one piece wheel and axel combination that does not roll very well. Can you look into doing something about making these roll better? Due to the design of the one piece barbell, it requires a parting line through the center of the wheel which tends to add a bump effect as it rolls. We are considering the roll effectiveness of the design currently.
- Can we have an update on the 2014 MB70 release? Will it be left blank or is there another model scheduled to be in its place? Collector number 70 on the 2014 singles list was reserved for the Range Rover Evoque. The Evoque has been moved to the 2015 line because of late development. It will however be considered as a 2014 carry over model.
- It has been noted that Volkswagen merchandise is now placing holograms on some of their toy packaging. Has this issue been brought to your attention by VW? It is not a requirement for Matchbox models.
- Earlier this year the MBX design team announced that they would make a SkyBuster model of Virgin Galactic Space Ship II, and they listed the model number as SB122. A news report just appeared, announcing that the craft had crashed. Will that affect the release of the model? Given the recent tragedy of this aircraft it is unknown at this time if we will pursue it for the future.
I recently took a road trip to one of my favorite rural department stores: Blain’s Farm & Fleet! On the 22nd of November they opened their toy department and they had an impressive selection of Matchbox die cast and assorted gift sets. I snapped a picture for all to see. Blain’s is a upper Midwestern family owed chain of stores that specializes in farming equipment, hardware, work clothes and other assorted household items. A BIG thumbs up goes out to this store chain for displaying our company’s products with pride.