Yesterday, Matchbox announced its 2019 Custom Contest on Instagram:
View this post on Instagram
Back for 2019! 3 Years in the Making! Attention all #customizers !! The 4th #Matchboxcustomcontest2019 is on!! We're looking for the top 15 customizers to make magic on the raw, disassembled castings of the #Subaru #SVX OK maybe not a classic yet, but should still be a fun new casting customize. Photograph an example of your best #matchbox custom and use the tag #matchboxcustomcontest2019 We will send a model to the top 15 entries. Go to www.lamleygroup.com tomorrow for more details @thelamleygroup #matchboxcustomcontest2019 @japaneseclassiccarshow ……………………………………….. And in other #news @tescofood should have #matchbox by the end of the #summer
If you aren’t familiar with the Matchbox Custom Contest, this is the fourth one, and it has become a fantastic way for the best customizers in 1/64 to show their stuff. It essentially works this way:
Between now and Sunday, July 14th, customizers are invited to share their Matchbox customs on Instagram under the hashtag #matchboxcustomcontest2019. Of all those submitted, the Matchbox Team will pick 15 customs, and announce the winners at the Matchbox Gathering of Friends Dinner on July 20th in Albuquerque, New Mexico. (I will be streaming the presentation on the Lamley YouTube Channel.)
Those 15 winners will then be sent a raw Matchbox model to customize and have showcased at the Japanese Classic Car Show in September in Long Beach, California. Afterwards, the customs will be sent back to their creators, along with a little treat they will be happy to have.
With the Japanese Classic Car Show once again being where the customs will be showcased – it is the largest nostalgic Japanese car meet in the US – the custom contest will once again have a Japanese theme, and what a car it is.
The brand new Subaru SVX.
Pictured above is the completed version in white, and the raw version that will be sent to the 15 chosen. The SVX is one of the more unique model choices from Matchbox, choosing the somewhat forgotten but beloved-by-many 90’s Subaru sports car for the 2019 line. It is set to be released in the final mix of 2019, and the 15 customizers selected will be among the first to have it in hand. They will be getting this raw version of this 90’s gem – with all pieces – wheels, window, interior – to turn into their own creation.
And as always, the specifics:
- Anyone can enter, from anywhere in the world, and you can enter as many Matchbox customs as you want. All submissions MUST be posted to Instagram by the end of day July 14th, 2019
- The submissions MUST start as Matchbox models, but can be from any era. Switching wheels or adding accessories from other brands is fine, but the model must be a recognizable Matchbox model.
- All submissions must be on Instagram, with the hashtag #matchboxcustomcontest2019. Just tagging the Matchbox or Lamley feed won’t work, nor will PM’s, email, or posts on any other social media network. If you don’t have an Instagram account and want to enter, now is the time to get one! It is free, and very easy to use. If you have a private account, make it public, or start a second account. The tag on a public account means the Team will see it. If you have questions about hashtags or anything else, just ask.
- The Matchbox Team will choose the Top 15. Lamley will not participate in any way in choosing the 15 winners. My main job will be to pass along all the info as it arrives, and showcase the winners.
- The Top 15 will be announced at this year’s Matchbox Gathering of Friends Convention Dinner on Saturday, July 20. The event will be live-streamed on the Lamley YouTube Channel. Details on that coming soon.
- After the Top 15 are announced, arrangements will be made to send a raw Subaru SVX to each, and timing to have them returned will be determined then.
Sound good? Get to it.