(UPDATE: Submissions are due on Instagram today!)
Originally posted June 22nd, 2016:
A bomb dropped on the Matchbox Instagram feed yesterday, and the custom world is buzzing…
Yesterday Matchbox announced the Matchbox Custom Contest, which will give 10 talented and lucky customizers the opportunity to customize their own raw Matchbox 1971 Nissan Skyline 2000GT-X, BEFORE it is released this fall.
Attention all #customizers !! We’re looking for the top 10 customizers to make magic on the raw, disassembled castings of the mighty #hakosuka #skyline #mb1022 Photograph an example of your best #matchbox custom and use the tag #matchboxcustomcontest. We’ll send a model to the top 10 entries. Go to www.lamleygroup.com tomorrow for more details! @thelamleygroup
The Matchbox Team ordered 10 raw, unassembled Skylines, and will allow 10 customizers of their choosing to customize them however they want. This is an unprecedented contest, as I cannot remember a time that anyone has had access to a model to customize before it has been released. And on top of that, it is the most anticipated Matchbox model in years.
So, how will it work?
Between now and July 5th, 2016, any and all customizers can post pics of their best Matchbox customs on Instagram with the hashtag #matchboxcustomcontest, and the Matchbox Team will select the Top 10 customs. Those 10 winners will then be sent a raw, unassembled Matchbox Skyline to customize. The finished customs will then be displayed by Matchbox at some prominent upcoming events, as well as showcased individually here on Lamley. And yes, those 10 winners will then get to keep their customs once Matchbox is done with them.
How cool is that? This will be incredibly fun to watch, and I cannot wait to see the custom submissions in the first round, as well as what the 10 winners come up with.
Here are the details:
- Anyone can enter, from anywhere in the world, and you can enter as many Matchbox customs as you want. All submissions must be posted to Instagram by the end of day July 5th, 2016.
- The submissions must start as Matchbox models, but can be from any era. Switching wheels or adding accessories from other brands is fine, but the model must be a recognizable Matchbox model.
- All submissions must be on Instagram, with the hashtag #matchboxcustomcontest. Just tagging the Matchbox or Lamley feed won’t work, nor will PM’s, email, or posts on any other social media network. If you don’t have an Instagram account and want to enter, now is the time to get one! It is free, and very easy to use. If you have questions about hashtags or anything else, just ask.
- The Matchbox Team will choose the Top 10. Lamley will not participate in any way in the choosing of the 10 winners. My main job will be to pass along all the info as it arrives, and showcase the winners.
- The Top 10 will be announced at this year’s Matchbox Gathering of Friends Convention Dinner on Saturday, July 16. The event will be live-streamed on Facebook Live and Periscope so you can watch. Details on that coming soon.
- After the Top 10 are announced, arrangements will be made to send a raw skyline to each, and timing to have them returned will be determined then.