One of the most common questions we get here at Lamley is in regards to the RLC cars, and how to get them.
And when Hot Wheels releases a BRE Datsun 510 as nice as the RLC model just out, the questions really ramp up. The fact is there is no guaranteed way to get these cars, but the best way is to be an RLC member. And the limited 2014 memberships are being made available in a week, on January 28th.
There are a lot of reasons to be an RLC member, pointed out here, but the main reason most join is to have first access to the limited RLC releases. Mattel always makes these releases available to RLC members for the first 24 hours, and then to the general public thereafter. Sometimes models are so popular that they sell out in minutes. Other times there are plenty for the public. Just know that if the words Drag, Bus, Dairy, Blown, or Delivery are involved, it will sell out in minutes.
To be honest, most RLC releases are really not our cup of tea, but models like the BRE and last year’s Gran Torino make being an RLC member completely worth it. I just finished my first year as an RLC member, and my experience was enough to convince me to do it again.
One big gripe, though. We know many of our Lamley friends come from overseas, and the RLC is not offered to those outside of the US. Mattel has said that they are working on the logistics of making the RLC worldwide, but that hasn’t happened yet. We at Lamley will always make it known that the RLC should be worldwide, as the collecting community is worldwide. In fact, the excitement we see in other countries many time eclipses what we see here.
In the meantime, we hope many of you join. Not only to enjoy what is coming yourselves, but to possibly be a means to get some of these models to our collector friends elsewhere.
Here is what we know about the RLC in 2014 so far:
- The membership car will be the Drag Dairy, coming in four colors. The color you get depends on when you sign up (current RLC members have first dibs, and that means the chrome model will most likely sell out then).
- The subscription plan is once again being offered for 2014. This guarantees at least one of the following models:
- Neo-Classics ’58 Plymouth Belvedere
- Neo-Classics ’64 Dodge 330
- Neo-Classics ’64 GMC Panel
- Neo-Classics Olds 442 Staff Car
- Real Riders ’83 Chevy Silverado 4×4
- Real Riders Breakaway Bucket
- Real Riders Thunder Roller
- Real Riders TBD
- There will be several other models not available in the Sub plan. For example, in 2013, the BRE 510 was a separate release. We don’t know what those models for 2014 will be, but we anticipate some gems.
All the details are here.
So, who is in?