Uh, that was close.
Over 1000 of you voted, and still only ONE vote separated the first place winner from the second place winner. So while technically there is a winner, two models surely stood out.
If you remember, a few weeks ago we asked you to vote for the model you thought was the best of the now defunct Hot Wheels Boulevard line. The series was clearly a hit with collectors, especially the smaller 2013 lineup, but it didn’t perform in stores the way Mattel had hoped. So off it went, into that great Hot Wheels scrapheap in the sky, but not before producing some fantastic models.
With the help of a few trusted collectors, we selected a list of models from the both the 2012 and 2013 lines that seemed to get more attention than the others, and we asked you vote on the model you thought was best.
So here we are, over 1000 votes later, and two models clearly out-shined the others. Both were brand new castings, and both were from the 2013 range. And like we mentioned earlier, only one vote separated the two. So while the Datsun 510 Wagon technically won, we think it is prudent to call it a winner along with the Porsche 993 GT2.
In fact, in case you are wondering, all the results:
1. Datsun Bluebird Wagon – 16.98%
2. Porsche 993 GT2 – 16.89%
3. Nissan Skyline H/T 2000GT-X – 9.19%
4. ’58 Plymouth Belvedere – 7.88%
5. 1988 Jeep Wagoneer – 6.29%
6. ’85 Chevy Astro Van – 6%
7. Long Gone – 5.44%
8. Vector W8 TwinTurbo – 5.2%
9. AMC Rebel Machine – 5.1%
10. ’55 Lincoln Futura Concept – 4.78%
11. ’63 Chrysler Turbine – 4.5%
12. ’77 Pontiac Firebird – 3.85%
13. ’69 Chevy Camaro – 3.38%
14. ’55 Corvette – 2.16%
15. ’64 Ford Falcon Sprint – 2.16%
I am sure, when looking at the results, there are plenty of points to argue. But one thing is very clear, the Datsun and Porsche ran away with the poll. No other model was even remotely close.
So what does this all mean?
Well, frankly…nothing. Diddly squat. The poll isn’t remotely scientific, it is only based on those that are aware of the Lamley Group Blog, and doesn’t in any way represent the collecting community as a whole.
There are some interesting tidbits to take away from what we see:
- While the collecting community as a whole did not select the Datsun and Porsche as winners, we can see that fans of those models were eager to vote, and wanted to make their voices heard. There is a newness to the appreciation of cars like these, and there are a lot of people out there, from all over the world, who want to make sure Mattel and Hot Wheels know that we hope to see more models just like these two. Expand out to the fact that Skyline was a clear third and you can see that point illustrated even more.
- Among the Top 5 there was a diverse group of cars. The three we already mentioned, along with a classic (Belvedere) and a Jeep.
- Muscle cars weren’t represented in the Boulevard line as much as they are in other lines (like the new Cool Classics), but it was interesting the highest ranking muscle car in our poll was the AMC Rebel Machine in 9th out of 15. We don’t think that means a decline in popularity at all. Just the interest in other types of cars is growing.