As promised, collector’s questions answered by the Mattel team.
Please keep in mind that I did not submit every question. Some were repeats of other questions, while others were unnecessary, like asking Mattel to confirm a collector’s opinion or the like. There are others that Mattel is unable to answer at this time, for various reasons. Hopefully some of them can be answered later, and I promise as Ambassador I will keep asking them if they are relevant. Mattel has also assured me that some that can’t be answered now will be answered for the next report due to some personnel changes.
If submitting just the Q&A doesn’t work for your site or club, here are the details that I think are most relevant for the rest of 2012 and the start of 2013:
- There will be no First Edition 9/10-pack this year. There are eight exclusive models distributed in eight different 9/10-packs.
- The Dodge Charger Police, a new tool originally slated for 2012, has been pushed back and will be a 2013 New Model.
- Like 2012, there will be 5 recolors in the 2013 mainline.
- The 2013 range will consist of four segments, and not all four will have equal numbers.
- New off-road and construction wheels are still in development.
- As noted in Part 2A of the report, there will be 12 5-packs in 2013, and four of them will be entirely made up of mainline models. The other 8 will have four exclusives and one model pulled from the mainline.
- Hitch N Haul and Cliffhanger playsets will be discontinued for 2013. The Mission Force sets will continue, with all new models and themes.
On with the questions:
(Mattel answers are in RED)
Basic Range & general casting questions:
Will sports cars be incorporated into the 4 segments of the 2013 lineup? Will each segment contain 30 models? Yes some sports cars will return. Not all segments will have equal numbers.
Not currently. The greater need is to have more police & fire executions on the models.
Any change to the blister pack design in 2013? There will be new vehicle illustrations and color coded theme bars.
No Mercedes Benz at this time.
Will we see fire versions of some of the police models (Buick, Evo, Monaco)? It is a possibility.
Will we see the return of the “convoy wheel” that was used in the basic range a few times a couple of years ago? Not likely due to production issues.
What happened to the last 2011 version 2 recolor? The MB45 Pit King was scheduled for 2 versions but only appeared in one. Due to schedule issues it was not done.
Will there be any models receiving 2 colors for 2013? We had 5 for 2012 so in fact had 125 models. None would mean the range is reduced in size. In addition to 120 models, there will be 5 recolors for 2013..
What happened to the basic range new wheels that were shown at the 2011 Gathering? Are these still to be produced? Yes these will still be produced but are late in development. The new large construction wheel is now at FEP stage. The large off-road wheel will follow later.
Any plans for a RWR mid mount aerial ladder? No.
Not specifically dedicated to one make at this time.
What is the status of the RWR GMC Tree Truck? It is now currently available.
Cliff Hanger. Are these being continued on for 2013 with new sets planned? Or are there plans for something new in the way of play sets for next year. These are not being carried forward in the US next year. We will be launching a new line of playsets called Adventure Links next year that are modular sets that focus on classic themes and enable the building out of an entire Matchbox world.
Will there be another Matchbox SEMA model this year? Not this year.
With the DAF re-appearing in the basic range, and a new Conventional Cab being introduced for 2013, are there any thoughts to returning any of the original convoy tooling (the rear sections) to any range at all? Or simply relaunching the Convoy series ? No, on both counts. The new Conventional cab now called; Torque Titan will work with original convoy tooling but there are no plans to re-launch the Convoys series.